My best trip ever...
Well, it will surprise no-one when I say, New Zealand for four and a half months on my own terms. The best ever.
My worst trip ever...
I can't honestly think of a travel experience that would qualify as 'the worst'.
Most important thing I ever lost on a trip...
A very personal letter from a friend that I was using as a bookmark, when I accidentally left the book in a motel room in New Zealand in 2001. I couldn't go back and get it because I was travelling with friends. I was devastated for several days.
Most important thing I ever forgot to take on a trip...
Again, I can't think of anything. Even if I have forgotten something, I will make do and forget about it very quickly.
Thing I miss most when I'm away...
All the friends who are not with me enjoying what I'm enjoying.
Thing I miss least when I'm away...
Favourite travel partner...
I mostly travel alone, but it's always the best fun travelling with Rebekka.
Place I hope to travel to someday...
Antarctica, British Columbia (and the north of Canada for personal reasons), Moscow and Volgagrad, Australia, Cook Islands, Niue, Poland, Finland..........and there's lots of places I want to go back to and explore some more.
Some more questions:
1. What's your first travel memory?
Being sick in the back of my father's car - did a lot of that as a child.
2. Name one place that you travelled to as a kid and returned to as an adult.
3. Was it weird?
Of course not.
4. How do you sleep on aeroplanes: booze, drugs or au natural?
I can't sleep on planes - it's always too exciting.
5. Name one thing you think every traveller should see before they die.
6. Where have you been that you would not recommend to others?
I try to see something good in everywhere I go, but if I had to choose somewhere I would say...'If you find yourself driving through the middle of New Zealand's South Island, just keep driving through Geraldine!'
7. Name one non-travel thing you learned on a trip.
How wonderful it was to make connections with fellow travellers in a backpackers. I made some of my most cherished friendships in that way, friendships that go way beyond travel.
8. Do you play any games when you travel, like counting convertibles or mullets?
No. I don't want to miss anything.
9. What's an awesome idea for a theme park that no one has thought up?
I don't like theme parks or what they represent, so I wouldn't inflict another one on the world, however great the idea was.
10. Name the coolest animal you've seen in the wild and tell why you loved it.
No-one can fail to be moved when they see penguins and dolphins in the wild. I was elated beyond my understanding when I saw the world's rarest penguin and the world's rarest dolphin in the space of about twenty minutes.
11. If you could go to Bora Bora with anyone, who would it be?
I don't want to go to Bora Bora!
12. What's the weirdest thing you've eaten on your travels?
As a veggie, nothing is that weird.
13. Yellowstone or Yosemite?
14. What country do you think has the best traditional fashion?
Has to be Scotland. I love my kilt!
15. Name one place in the USA you've never been to but want to see.
Can't think of one.
16. Road trips: Love or hate?
I love them, but I also love other ways of discovering and experiencing places.
17. Do you or have you ever lived abroad?
I don't suppose four and a half months counts as living there, so 'No'.
18. Do you sleep in when travelling, or get up at the crack of dawn?
Generally I'm up at sparrow's fart when I'm travelling. Time is too important and valuable to waste.
19. Name three things you hate about being away from home.
Can't think of a single one.
20. Name three things you love about travel.
Freedom, learning about a different culture, meeting new and wonderful people.